Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hump Day Happies: Top of the Morning to Ya!

I don't work 9-5 very often.  Half of the time I am usually working from 12pm - 8pm.  It isn't the kind of shift that lets you take advantage of the day very much!  So I have introduced a new routine to my already redundant one: rather than sleep in, shower, get dressed and go to work, I am doing all of the above, minus the sleeping in part.  I have started getting into the habit of waking up with Vinny, around 7:30am.  Let me break down one of this week's mornings for you:

7:30am: Wake up and make smoothies for Vinny and I- orange juice, vanilla bean and pear yogurt, strawberries, grapes, pineapple, peaches, and one Magic Bullet to whip it all up.
8:00am: Say au revoir to Vinny as he leaves for work.  Pop in AM Yoga for Peak Performance video.
9:00am: Lie in Savasana for a few more moments.  Take in the echoe of a short yet wonderful morning yoga pratice.
9:15am: Prepare a tasty lunch for the day- lettucy salad with italian tomatoes, mushrooms, and homemade mustard seed dressing.
9:30am: Hop in the shower.  Dry body.  Dry hair.  Apply a quick coat of mascara.  Rummage through closet for appropriate outfit.
10:30am: Do a load of laundry.  Chase Roxanne around the appartment building hall, and back into our unit.
10:45am: Work on latest blog entry.  Re-read entry a few times.  Peruse through other local blogs for an interesting read.
11:15am: Hang laundry to dry.  Chase Roxanne around the hall again and lead her back into our unit.
11:30am: Grab lunch from fridge.  Kiss Roxanne on the nose.  Lock the door.  Step outside.  Make my way to work.

Ok, so it wasn't an extremely exciting or whirlwind of a morning, but that isn't the point.  What is great is that I have started finding the time in the morning to simply do that: take time.  I now feel like I can actually make the most of my morning.  And really, doing at least a half hour of yoga right after waking up is such a positive way to jump-start a busy day.  I feel way more energized, and less groggy in the middle of my work day.  Even doing laundry early in the day seems therapeutic- that way I don't have to worry about doing it later.  Waking up earlier has given me the oppurtunity to not have my day seem comprised of only working- it makes the day as an entirety much more enjoyable.  So I would implore you all to take advantage of a beautiful early morning, rather than staying snug in your bed (as comfortable as it may be).  You can do yoga, write, read, watch a show you usually wouldn't because you'd be sleeping, make a tasty breakfast, slowly sip a coffee or tea, anything, as long as it makes you smile knowing that you are taking advantage of your morning.  My plan for tomorrow morning: go for a nice long walk before work- help my mind be clearer and happier.  Happy Hump Day!

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

No comments:

Post a Comment